Think she’s pregnant? Here’s some practical advice about what to do next.
- Listen. The situation involves more than just you. Now you have three lives to think about. Try to understand her feelings, too.
- Stay Calm. She needs your support now more than ever. She may be carrying the baby, but you are BOTH parents. Regardless of your relationship with the mother, your baby needs you.
- Talk about it. Not only with each other, but prepare to talk with parents and others close to the situation. Sharing the news with people who can reduce your stress levels as you process.
- Gather all the facts. Get all the information and seek wise counsel so you can make the best decision for both you and your partner.
- Express yourself honestly. It’s normal to have feelings of anger, frustration and fear. Sharing those feelings in a constructive way will show her that she is not alone in this situation.
- Don’t walk away. The more you run from this, the harder it becomes to think and act clearly.
- Don’t pressure her. Applying pressure will only push her away, and potentially result in a decision you may both regret. You will do well to work together as a team.
- Don’t forget. You have a very active role in this situation, and your input is valuable and important to making a healthy decision for you and her.
Are you sure she’s really pregnant? Full Circle’s medical grade pregnancy testing and ultrasounds can confirm a viable pregnancy.
Go with her to her pregnancy test appointment. If she truly is pregnant, then she is already coping with hormonal changes that can have a great effect on her. Having your support will reassure her that you care.
Remember the decision is ultimately hers to make. You should be able to express your opinion but you should never force her into a decision. Our trained counselors can help you facilitate a conversation to express your opinion in a safe and constructive manner.
Full Circle Medical Center for Women offers a men’s mentoring program with material support and can connect you with helpful resources within your community.